Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance
Family Heirloom Recipes Competition
Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance is dedicated to celebrating, exploring and preserving unique food traditions and their cultural contexts in the American Midwest. By hosting public events, developing archival resources and generating publications, the GMFA uncovers the distinctiveness of a region that is as varied in tastes and traditions as it is in its geography from the Great Lakes to the Great Plains. Whether indigenous foods like Wisconsin cranberries and Minnesota walleye, iconographic flavors like the wheat and corn from across the prairies, immigrant cuisines from early Europeans to 21st-century newcomers, or fish boils and fine dining in small towns and big cities, the GMFA promotes and chronicles the diversity of the region’s culinary character.
PRIZES: 1st place – $150., 2nd place – $100., 3rd place – $50
Taste 50%, History 40%, Appearance 10%
• Enter your best scratch family heirloom recipe suitable for a family or community dinner. Recipe should be from before 1950.
• Each entry must be created from one recipe.
• Entrants must be at least 18 years of age, one entry per person.
• Every ingredient must be listed in exact measurement (no rounded teaspoons, etc.) type of ingredient (example: self-rising flour) must be specified. No mixes may be used. Follow general proper recipe procedure, listing all steps of preparation, pan sizes, temperature and baking time.
• Entries must be submitted with 1) recipe and contestant’s name, age at time of contest, address, phone number and email address typed on an 8 1/ 2” x 11 sheet of paper, and 2) On a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper type a brief story of who passed the recipe down to you, ethnicity, if relevant, number of years the recipe has been in your family and any interesting information about your recipe..
• By submitting your entry, you accept official rules and agree to be bound by the judges’ decisions, which will be final. You also agree that your recipe and history narrative will become the property of Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance, which reserves the right to edit, adapt, copyright, publish and use without compensation to you.
• By participating, contestants also understand and accept the right of Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance to use contestant names, photos, history narratives and recipes for publicity without compensation.
• Each winning entry will be in a display case (18” x 18”). Your product should be displayed simply, but attractively, with the use of props, such as a photograph, placemat, napkins, glassware or maybe flowers.
• Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance is not responsible for lost or illegible recipes, nor is the fair.
• Taxes on the prizes are the responsibility of the winner.
• Greater Midwest Foodways Alliance website is GreaterMidwestFoodways.com. (Recipes from the web site are not eligible for entry in this contest.)
Ohio State Fair:
Competition: Saturday, July 31, check-in 5:30 – 6:30 pm
– Premium book: http://www.ohiostatefair.com/osf/downloadbooks/specialevents/2010/2010new_competitions.pdf see pages 2-4 in .pdf
– Application form, deadline is June 20th:
To apply and pay online: http://ohio.fairmanager.com/
To print out form for mail-in application: http://www.ohiostatefair.com/osf/downloadbooks/specialevents/2010/2010creativeform.pdf
Illinois State Fair:
Competition: Sunday August 15, check in: 9 – 10 am, awards noon
– Premium book: http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/premium/general.pdf see page 102
– Application form, deadline is July 15th,: http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/premium/generalentryform.pdf
Indiana State Fair:
Competition: Tuesday August 17, check in: 1 – 3 pm.
– Premium book,: http://www.in.gov/statefair/fair/competition/open_class_handbook.html see page 35 and 36 of pdf (hardcopy: pages 179-180)
– Application form, deadline is July 1: http://www.in.gov/statefair/fair/competition/open_class_handbook.html